Thursday, January 28, 2010

CLASSIC BRIDGE HAND

It's my blog, I'll write what I want to. Yeoww. I played a fun hand this week at the local duplicate. My opponents were competent players but were not a regular partnership. None vulnerable I held S JT9653 H AK842 D void C T6. Pass on my right. I open 1 Spade! I open light but this is a new record. Let's look at it. 8 hcp plus 6S and 5H easily meets the rule of 20! The AK of hearts is my two defensive tricks and the hand has 6 losers. This is a good hand and I opened it. LHO bids 2NT unusual for minors. Now pard jumps to 4 Spades! In our methods this shows a preemptive hand to make the opponents guess at the five level. It shows no defense! We play unusual over unusual so a bid of 3 Diamonds would be a limit raise or better in spades. This is a cue bid of one of their implied suits showing a spade raise. But it's not over yet! RHO bids 5 clubs and I bid 6 spades! Really, I think it is their hand and I would bid on to 6 spades if they go to 6 clubs. More to come...! LHO bids 7 clubs! It goes p p and NOW WHAT. Should I double? It is match points and I am on lead. I think I have won the board. If I double they may run to 7D and pard is on lead. He might then lead a spade and seven might make. I pass and lead the A of hearts. It holds, down at least one.
The whole hand is:

...............K8742
...............9
...............JT98
...............932
void.......................AQ
T63.......................QJ52
AKQ75..................6432
AK874...................QJ5
................JT9653
................AK874
................void
................T6

I go on and cash the HK and give pard his ruff. We later win a diamond for down 4. We score 75% on the board and I am happy with the result. Any comments?

As always I appreciate your comments. Happy Bridging, SPADEWOOD.

1 comment:

Tommy Solberg said...

I don't care much for your opponents action on this hand. Everything up to 5 clubs makes sense.These are tough hands to bid and there are no experts. Partner's spade raise makes it likely that LHO will have at least 2 hearts and spade shortness, so I am optomistic my hearts will cash. I am lookling for a plus on this hand and don't want to go for -500. What's wrong with a pass over 5 clubs. LHO will surely bid 6 in a minor and now give that a crack knowing that down 1 undoubled will not be a good score. LHO's bid of 7 clubs is outrageous.I would double 6 spades and let partner take it out if his hand is offensisve rather than defensive. I regard doubles in this kind of auction as DSIP (do something intelligent partner)and with a defensive hand your rho should just pass. Congraatulations on your 75% board. You opponents got more than they deserved.