Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another WTB with good lessons

Another fun hand. I was doubled after opening 2S and MADE IT. Yeoww! With RHO opening 2S you hold S-A2 H-KT42 D-KQ5 C-A543. You have plenty of juice to double with 16 hcp and 4 hearts and support in both minors. LHO passes and your pard holds QJ43 Q83 7654 J4.
He is in a pickle! The alternatives are pass, 2NT, and 3D(as a sign off). 2NT as a natural bid may lead to more troubles. 3D shows a much better hand and is a poor alternate. Actually 3H has some merit but I wouldn't seriously consider it. Todays modern bridge players often play Lebensohl in this situation. 2NT becomes a transfer to 3C which can be passed or to next bid 3D as a signoff. Not a bad alternative, to transfer then sign off in 3D. At least you wont get in more trouble. All these alternates have one major defect. The board is likely lost. Anything you do will likely be bad. The bid I like is the pass. With vulnerability right, opp Vul vs you NV you have a good play for a top. Now the fun begins. You have to take 6 tricks before declarer takes 8 tricks. As the doubler, what do you lead. You have 4 likely tricks. Pard probably has 2 so it should be down 1. I'd lead the DK. Thats not the killing lead but it is the RIGHT lead. For fun find the killing lead. The full hands are as follows:

........9
........J65
........AJT82
........KQ87
A2................QJ43
KT42...........Q83
KQ5.............7643
A943............J6
.......KT8765
.......A97
.......3
.......T52

The opening lead is the DK. What do you think of your chances of making this? RHO has to have a trump stack. If he has 5 trump you will be down. losing 3 trumps, 2 hearts and a club. With the more likely 4-2 break you can end play him if you reduce your trump length to the same as his. With that in mind I take the DK with the A and lead back the J of diamonds, discarding a heart. LHO wins the diamond and returns a low heart. RHO plays the Q and I take the A. I lead a low club and LHO plays the A.(If he ducks, I pitch a heart on the good diamond.) He cashes the HK and leads a heart. I pitch a club, then lead the S9 and run it. LHO wins the A and leads a diamond. I ruff it, lead a club to the K. We are at the 9th trick. I have 5 tricks, they have 4 tricks. I lead a diamond and trump it. I then lead the ST, won by RHO SJ and he concedes the last two tricks, for making two. An earlier switch to clubs would have ruined the timing for the end play.

Did you find the killing defense? Try leading CA and another on opening lead. Then lead a third round for a ruff when in with the SA. Easy game this bridge.

More blogs to come as I get the mood. Thanks for reading. Happy Bridging. SPADEWOOD.

No comments: